Going to the store solo with my 3 kidlums is always quite the adventure. Even more on a rainy day. Princess got my waterproof mascara out of my purse while I was picking out vitamins and applied it all over her eyebrows. I tried hand soap and water in the bathroom but it wasn't coming off so she shopped at Sprouts with us sporting the Marilyn Manson look. Which reminds me, as a mother I am not a fan of Sprout's shopping carts. They are a little top heavy. Tractor learned the laws of physics the hard way - which is a him lying between the floor and a Sprouts shopping cart a few weeks ago :/
So anyways, back to the muffins. They are delicious and the kids think so too! The best thing about them is that they have all 6 food groups (yes, even that seldom know dark chocolate group ;) with no sugar or other yucky stuff. They have whole grain, fruit, veggies, calcium, protein and a tiny bit of dark chocolate. A mom couldn't ask for more out of a muffin and the kids can't stop asking for them! I like to freeze and pull them out as I need the night before.
Breakfast Mini Muffins
Prep Time: 20 min Bake Time: 17 min Yield: about 48 mini muffins
1 1/2 cup (give or take) of grated zucchini (I peel them and use my blender)
1 cup (give or take) smashed ripe bananas
6 Tbs raw honey
1/4 cup applesauce
1 1/2 tsp coconut oil (be sure to use the good stuff)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or whole grain gluten free flour mix
1 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
6 Tbs hemp seeds
dark chocolate chips or just small pieces off a bar (I use the darkest I can find, usually 88%)
Optional: 1/2 tsp ginger, nutmeg and/or allspice (it all depends on your personal tastes), can also add 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder accompanied with 1/4 cup extra applesauce to up the protein
1) Mix zucchini and bananas to make about 2 1/2 cups, a few banana lumps are ok & preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Add honey and egg.
3) Mix in applesauce, oil and vanilla.
4) In a separate bowl mix together all of the other ingredients except the chocolate and then add to the wet ingredients.
5) Sometimes the muffins stick a little to the muffin papers so butter or oil if you would like. Fill the muffin papers 3/4 full and push a small piece of chocolate or one chip into the center of each muffin.
6) Cook for 17-20 minutes depending on your oven & preference.
Cool & Enjoy!