Friday, March 27, 2015

Are there enough calories in this play dough to blow my diet?

I seem to be the only person who missed the blogging bandwagon when it went through Mommyville, so here I am.  I have three wonderful, happy and sometimes oh so challenging little ones.  They have named themselves for this blog: Tractor, Princess & Fire.

As I sit here playing with my kiddos and our play dough, the thought crosses my mind - How many calories does it have?  I am hot on the diet trail to fit back into ALL of my pre-pregnancy clothes and am trying to keep my calorie count low.  This belly was wonderfully cute when I was preggers with Fire, but now - not so much! 

I have always made the kids play dough myself since Princess never grew out of the eating everything stage.  This way I know what it is she is eating on the not so rare occasion that I don't catch her in time.  It's pretty harmless except for the Kool-Aid packets that color and scent it.   Those delightfully scented Kool-Aid flavors are pretty tempting when you are on eating better!  Blue Raspberry play dough never looked so delicious.  And the ice cream shop play dough toy isn't making things any easier.  'Soft serve with sprinkles?'  Yes please!  After trying several different recipes over the years, this one has become our favorite.  It smells and looks yummy, is soft but not sticky and keeps for a long time in a Ziploc bag.  BTW - The whole recipe is 614 calories, it would so blow my diet ;)


Edible Kool-Aid Play Dough
(enough for two kids)
  • 1 cup water 
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2  packets of kool-aid
  • 1 cup flour 
  • ¼ cup salt
  • 5 teaspoons cream of tartar
Directions:

  1. Combine water, Kool-Aid, salt & oil in a small pot.
  2. On medium, stir until all salt has dissolved .
  3. Mix flour and cream of tartar together then add to the pot.
  4. Constantly stir until mixture forms a soft ball of dough, should take a few minutes.
  5. Remove from heat and knead when it is cool enough to handle.
  6. When it is completely cooled, eat it!  Oh wait, I mean - when it is completely cooled, let the kids play with it.

Happy play doughing!

No comments:

Post a Comment