Friday, March 27, 2015

Better than just homemade - Laundry Detergent

I have been seeing all of these recipes for homemade laundry detergent on Pinterest and was excited to try them out until... I went to the store to gather the ingredients and realized that those recipes pump horrible chemicals onto the earth and expose my family to them as well.  So I started researching a better way to still make cheap homemade laundry detergent that was a lot better for my family and the earth.  After lots of research I decided that if something *might* cause cancer or poison my family I *might* want to stay clear of it.

So began my search and I finally compiled an ingredient list that I think is even safe enough to pump out to your garden from your washer (note: I think but have not actually tried it) that doesn't require any grating or cooking!  I have been using it for a few months and am very happy with the results.  I have a front loading HE washer and this works since it is low sudsing.  If I need any extra stain fighting power I just pre-treat with the same ingredients or I wash on hot.
Family/Earth Safe Homemade Laundry Detergent

Ingredients:
1 cup baking soda,
1/4 cup liquid Dr. Bonner’s Eucalyptus Castile soap (or Baby Mild if you prefer)
1 gallon water
-Shake before use and add 1/3 cup per load.

Softener
Fill softener compartment with vinegar.  This is tricky because you should never mix castile soap with vinegar as it breaks it down and will leave oil stains on your clothes.  Make sure that your softener compartment is leaking while waiting for your washing cycle to finish.

Bleach (whites or color clothes)
Fill half the tray with lemon juice and half with hydrogen peroxide.

Dryer
Use the blue dryer balls you can get anywhere.  If you would like a scent you can put a couple drops of your favorite essential oil on a washcloth and throw in with the load.

Happy Washing!

No comments:

Post a Comment